Sunday: The Shelton Jaycees, a local non-profit community group, held their Annual Best Pizza in Shelton Open-house.Â The event was held at Pinerock Firehouse in Shelton.Â Almost thirty people helped choose the Best Sausage, Best Pepperoni, Best Vegetable, Best Cheese and Best Overall Pizzas.
Ten local pizza establishments each donated and delivered a pie for each category.Â They were delivered in identical generic pizza boxes to hide the identity of the restaurant.Â Participants tasted small pieces of each pie and voted for the letter code assigned by a non-judge.
The voting was very close in each of the categories.
- The Best Sausage Pizza winner was Basil’s Pizza â€“ (203) 926-6848 located at 725 Bridgeport Ave.
- The Best Vegetable Pizza winner was Lia’s Pizza – (203) 924-7009 located at 425 River Road.
- The Best Cheese Pizza winner was Gioveâ€™s Pizza â€“ (203) 225-6000 located at 494 Bridgeport Ave.
- The Best Pepperoni Pizza winner was Captain’s Pizza â€“ (203) 929-6377 located at 335 Bridgeport Ave.
- The Best Overall Pizza winner was Basil’s Pizza. They finished a close second in the cheese category and won the sausage category to give them the most votes for Best Overall Pizza in Shelton!
For special recognition the project committee members chose:
- Antonio’s Italian Style Pizza for Best Toppings (203) 924-7499 located at 151 Center Street.
- The Little Tomato for Best Crust (203) 922-1717 located at 503 Howe Ave.
- Villa Pizza & Restaurant for Best Sauce (203) 929-1155 located at 888 Bridgeport Ave.
- Planet Pizza for Best Toppings Runner-Up (203) 925-0003 located at 350 Bridgeport Ave.
- Artanâ€™s Pizza for Best Crust Runner-Up (203) 924-7514 located at 19 Kneen Street.
- Vincentâ€™s Italian Restaurant for Best Sauce Runner-Up (203) 929-9104 located at 526 Shelton Ave.
The purpose of the event was to increase the Jaycees visibility in the community and attract new members.Â Project Chairman Jim Nissen said â€œThere are so many quality pizzas to choose from right here in town.Â SHELTON, NOT New Haven, should be considered the Pizza Capitol of Connecticut!â€
The Jaycees offer opportunities for people 21-40 to meet people and volunteer.Â Their purpose is to provide hands on leadership experience and training, over and above whatâ€™s available through employers and other organizations.Â They run dozens of community events each year and members volunteer as much or as little as they like based on their interest in the event.
Because the membershipâ€™s interests are so varied, this creates a huge variety of events. Their best known project is their Annual Arts & Crafts Fair, always the first Sunday in June, on the Huntington Green.Â They also run a very large Car Show & Bazaar at Riverwalk Park at the end of August.Â They run fundraising events and support charities like the BGHS Umbrella program for Victims of Domestic Violence.Â Members share personal and professional skills at events like an Online Networking Seminar, and a Professional Poker Seminar.Â They also run hands on events like an Earth Day Clean Up along the Far Mill River and Pink Ribbon Kite flying at the Breast Cancer Walk.
For a more detailed list of Shelton Jaycees events and to learn how you can get involved come to a meet-up or visit www.sheltonjaycees.org