Sunday March 29th: The Shelton Jaycees, a local non-profit community group, held their Annual Best Pizza in Shelton Open-house. The event was held at Pinerock Firehouse in Shelton. Over thirty people helped choose the Best Sausage, Best Pepperoni, Best Veggie, Best Cheese and Best Overall Pizzas.
Ten local Pizza establishments each donated and delivered a pie for each category. They were delivered in identical generic pizza boxes to hide the identity of the restaurant. Participants tasted small pieces of each pie and voted for the letter code assigned by a non-judge.
The voting was very close in each of the categories.
- The Best Sausage Pizza winner was Carmine’s Ristorante Italiano – (203) 922-1233 located at 376 River Rd.
- The Best Sausage runner up was Villa Pizza and Restaurant – (203) 929-1155 located at 888 Bridgeport Ave.
- The Best Pepperoni Pizza winner was Vincent’s Italian Restaurant – (203) 929-9104 located at 526 Shelton Ave.
- The Best Pepperoni runner up was Villa Pizza and Restaurant – (203) 929-1155 located at 888 Bridgeport Ave.
- The Best Veggie Pizza winner was Giove’s Pizza – 225-6000 located at 494 Bridgeport Ave.
- The Best Veggie runner up was Porky’s Cafe – (203) 924-4869 located at 50 Center Street
- The Best Cheese Pizza winner was Antonio’s Pizza – (203) 924-0329 located at 151 Center Street.
- The Best Cheese runner up was Basil’s Pizza – (203) 926-6848 located at 725 Bridgeport Ave.
The Best Overall Pizza winner was Villa Pizza and Restaurant. They finished a close second in the pepperoni and sausage categories and scored high in the cheese and veggie category to give them the most votes for Best Overall Pizza in Shelton!
For special recognition the project committee members chose:
V Ristorante for Best Toppings (203) 944-7337 located at 706 Bridgeport Ave.
Artan’s Pizza for Best Crust (203) 924-7514 located at 19 Kneen Street.
And Bella Vista Family Restaurant for Best Sauce (203) 924-5935 located at 94 River Rd.
The purpose of the event was to increase the Jaycees visibility in the community and attract new members. 5 prospective members attended and 2 joined that night! Project Chairperson Sharon Herman said “I’ve attended two of these Jaycees Best Pizza nights before I signed up and joined the Shelton chapter. This year I ran the event! There are so many quality pizzas to choose from right here in town. Shelton, not New Haven should be considered the Pizza Capitol of Connecticut!”
The Jaycees offer opportunities for people 21-40 to meet people and volunteer. Their purpose is to provide hands on leadership experience and training, over and above what’s available through employers and other organizations. They run dozens of community events each year and members volunteer as much or as little as they like based on their interest in the event. Because the membership’s interests are so varied, this creates a huge variety of events.
Their best known project is their Annual Arts & Crafts Fair, always the first Sunday in June, on the Huntington Green. They also run a very large Car Show & Bazaar at Riverwalk Park at the end of August. They run fundraising events and support charities like the BGHS Umbrella program for Victims of Domestic Violence. Members share personal and professional skills at events like an Online Networking Seminar, and a Professional Poker Seminar. On April 26th they will be running an Earth Day Clean Up along the Farm Mill River on Beard Sawmill Road. Also coming up in April are two American Cancer Society Relay Team donation events. On April 19th there will be a donation drive at Walmart. On April 25th there will be a donation drive at Hula Hanks in New Haven. For details see the calendar section at the Shelton Jaycees home page.